Thursday, April 28, 2011

Awesome= (Humor^2)(Relevant)(ln(puns))




This just made me laugh...
 Don't judge
An awesome paragraph, you say? Well I can really go to town with this one, which is exactly where Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest begins. Primarily, I loved the witty banter that Algernon offers. He did not hesitate to go down the wrong lane with his remarks, bluntly saying things like: “Well, I don’t like your clothes. You look perfectly ridiculous in them” to Jack (30). I went into the story expecting to voice of the bland rules of etiquette and was pleasantly surprised by the prism of colorful characters that Wilde produced. However, even the moments where etiquette prevailed had unspoken moments of character. For example, after Gwendolen states that she does not want sugar because it “is not fashionable any more,” Cecily angrily adds four lumps (If this were modern, I’m sure she would go so far as to give her a punch instead of any tea at all) (Wilde 38). I found the dramatic irony and childish actions quite humorous. She will soon get married, and her idea of a come-back is a few lumps of sugar? The pure ease at which the characters create drama for themselves is fascinating. In all earnestness, it actually reminded me of the world in which we live today. Whole TV shows revolve around the idea of petty drama. Although I purse my lips at them, they have become an integral part of our society. And I have observed relationships between friends that appear volatile one moment and sturdy the next. Not only that, but I have had petty disputes with my brother about food, just like Algernon and Jack. Jack accuses Algernon, saying: “Well that is no reason why you should eat all them muffins in that greedy way” (41). I must admit, when an exceptionally delicious pizza or brownies come into play, conversations such as this one have come up. I'm sure my mother just wants to say: "You guys can go sit out there with your toast!" (Serensky). What separates me and my friends, however, from the characters, is that Wilde creates a whole new extreme. His level of absurdity keeps us all centered. Although we may have our moments, we can never let ourselves slip into such a state. If we remember this lesson, we will all be merry men and women. And lastly, I happy to enjoy puns a great deal. Wilde does not hesitate with this device, thus enhancing my appreciation of the book. See? I told you I had this writing in the bag...





As opposed to in the perambulator...
(what an awful punch line... I know...)

3 comments:

  1. Lizzy, I'm sorry to say I have to disagree with you... because I thought that was a pretty good punchline, it made me laugh and was completely relevant. Besides that, I agree with your perception of these characters and I have to say that ridiculous characters are among my favorites as well. I can perfectly imagine thses characters on a really dramatic tv show or something like that, what with the secret identitites and lost babies and brothers who die suddenly in Paris, I would watch it. Keep up the good work Burl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy, I agree that this book is utterly ridiculous and I really enjoy that you chose it. You have the perfect personality to not only appreciate the play but embody the ridiculousness that it is through your blog. You know that I am always good-naturedly making fun of the way you say things (it's "witty banter" by the way), but the tone of your post just adds to your opinion of the play. Well written, Lizzy (including the punch line)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzy, I chose the same book! It really is just a fun and lighthearted book! I think Wilde did really well with making it so absurd...but keeping the characters realistic and relateable! I feel like you of all people would appreciate how radiculous this play is! Very well done Blog, you only added more craziness to the already begun crazy! (And no...the punchline was GREAT!)

    ReplyDelete