Monday, April 18, 2011

Winning Always Makes for a Fun Memory...

Tight clusters of desks filled the room. Students exchange apprehensive looks as they twirl their pencils or tap their feet, glad to have something to focus on. Ms. Serensky manages to convince a student to take count on the board. The tension grows. She begins to introduces the groups one by one. I hurridly glance up at the rest of my group: Nicola, Sarah, and Chase.
“Do you want to just cheer loudly?” I whisper. Sarah agrees, but Nicola looks suspicious. Chase does not weigh in on this, but he must be thinking: “Let us preserve a dignified silence” because he chooses to remain silent while Sarah and I awkwardly make stifled roars of encouragement (Wilde 43).
Ms. Serensky likes the tallies to be even.
          I believe she once compared this to
 a "horse race last year

Then Ms. Serensky begins the arduous task of reading the answers. Her voice stifles all sounds as she reads with precision and clarity. I compare the group answers on the scoring sheet to the ones out loud each time because I can not stand the suspense. But our answers are final, so “who can control his fate? ‘Tis not so now” (Shakespeare 5.2.262). As she reads, we all find that different groups lose points in different places--all groups, except for ours. For some aberrant reason, we have not missed a point yet. I want to foreshadow our win, but I fear I will jinx it.

However, the win becomes eminent when we have just a few left and I realize that even if we miss all of the answers, we will still win. “I am, God help me, in a state resembling happiness” (Currie 196). My team’s shining moment, the epitome of AP English 12, occurs on this seemingly ordinary day.

2 comments:

  1. Lizzy, when I hear people talking about this post at school, so many have decided to talk about the multiple choice game. I love your post because I feel like I can see it through your eyes and you have such colorful diction that it makes your stressful situation laughable. You incorporated your quotes really well too! I did not expect those to go together, but you made it work. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy, I also wrote about a multiple choice victory! Something about those extra credit questions bring out the best and worst in us. I loved you're entry and how you used the quotes, especially the one Chase thinks! You're writing style is very similar to how you talk in real life, so the entire time I was reading this I was imagining you speaking in your semi-british accent! You're awesome, Burl!

    ReplyDelete