Thursday, February 24, 2011

Do You Believe?

Today in class, my group presented the poem, “Block City.” This children’s poem made me think about my childhood and the imaginative games that I would play, along my extremely optimistic outlook on potential human achievements. These include...
  • Cars: That’s what we called this game. Basically, my brother had a children’s rugs that had a road design on it. We would use toy cars (we each had our favorites) and would create characters who basically were embodied within the cars. We would play often, creating elaborate story lines behind these characters. I believe we followed these specific lives for years.
  • I used to have a loft bed in my room. I had a friend sleep over, so we had a mattress on the floor. We decided to train ourselves how to fly. We took two pillows in each hand and continuously flapped our arms as we repeatedly jumped off of the bed. After a while, my mom came up because she kept hearing loud thumping sounds. She kind of freaked out and made us stop...
  • OK, so I am not going to lie, there may have been a game that I played with my friend where we pretended we were fairy princesses on the run from power-hungry humans intent on causing us harm: This may be why I feel strongly about environmental protection?
  • Playmobile: I was very into this; I played with my brother at first, but when he got older, I played by myself. We had so much furniture for them that my parents actually built a playmobile house for us. It had different wallpaper for each of the rooms, along with a staircase and individually painted roof tiles.
  • Our business model: I’m not exactly sure if this counts as make- believe because we truly believed that we (My brother, a close friend, and I) were running a real business. We called it Ekey- Kids and our logo was a globe with a red arrow wrapping around it. We had a money fund and would make plans for the future; we hoped to buy an office space. At one point, we were intent on buying a calculator that printed out receipts, but my mom somehow managed to sway us. She actually tried to settle this urge by buying a tool cash register, but it just annoyed me because I felt like she did not take our business seriously.
  • My friend and I would make movies about various things: the three little pigs, a spoof of the three little pigs, a films about the murder of a movie star, a haunted mansion, the lives of tooth fairies, and more. We actually got quite into these.

1 comment:

  1. Lizzy, I found all of the games you played as a kid quite funny. I too took part in some of them like Playmobile and race cars. One particular game I played with my brother regarding race cars was called "Shoot the Train." In this game we set up a Lego train track in a small circle. Then we had a contraption that could shoot hot wheels cars down a track so we would put that right next to the train track. Then one person would control the shooter while the other ran the train back and forth along the track and tried to avoid the flying cars. Looking back on this we spent hours and hours and it s funny to see how something so simple enthralled me for so long.

    ReplyDelete