Sunday, January 2, 2011

English and Gymnastics: an unexpected parallel

“Oh no-- the thing I’ve been avoiding-- I finally have to actually do it” I thought at gymnastics as I waited on the vault runway.
As the matter-of-fact, I also thought this when I eventually started on my data sheet.
One thing you should know: I do not like vault at all. The idea of running full- speed at a large, stationary, object scares me. Although I knew I would have to do it eventually, I avoided this event for as long as possible. The same goes for my data sheet. I tried to put it off for a while, pretend that it did not exist, until I realized that I would have to face it.
In many ways, AP English prepares us for these real- world encounters with unpleasant tasks. It forces us to face what we dread and to keep going when we feel like we are dying out. One such example of this is the notorious in-class essay.
The in-class essay not only takes away class time, but it drains energy too. At the end, the students are exhausted, sharing complaints of a cramped hand or mental breakdown. This, again, parallels with gymnastics.
Over winter break, we have had three hour practices from 9-12 from Monday to Friday for both weeks (actually it was only from 9-11 on Christmas eve). By the end of practice, we would feel tired, but then a coach would say something about conditioning and we would not quite get to relax, just like the conclusion of an essay.
AP English teaches us to persevere and face daunting tasks. Now back to that data sheet...

5 comments:

  1. Lizzy, this is undoubtedly true. AP English does prepare us for real world tasks because subconsciously we learn to endure and complete many assignments that we do not enjoy. I think that AP English helps us in more ways than we realize. It helps prepare us for life beyond high school in so many more ways than just our ability to analyze a novel. With the schedule you are training under one would think you are preparing for the Olympics in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you made a great point about how AP English can connect to sports. AP English teaches one to meet and overcome obstacles once thought impossible to overcome. I feel like Ap English has prepared all of very well for whatever we shall do in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzy, I totally agree that AP English has prepared me for real world tasks as I have learned to persevere through many difficult and challenging assignments. Over break, I felt similarly about basketball practice as you did with gymnastics. However, I knew that I would be able to get through the rough and strenuous practices, just like I am able to make it through exhausting in-class essays. I think we are all beginning to realize that AP English and Ms. Serensky have prepared us to face the real world in more ways than we ever thought possible. I am actually excited to see the future applications and benefits of AP English in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lizzy, I just finished a blog post with the same sentiment, and I completely agree with you. I paralleled mine to staying in shape over Christmas break and running. I always thought running would push me to my limits more so than any class would, but this class has taught me to push my limits in a different, yet just as difficult way. Both have put me to the test and I have benefit from doing so in both aspects of my life.

    ReplyDelete