Monday, April 25, 2011

The Top Ten



10) I found out that I had been selected for the ASM France Materials Failure Analysis Camp in Clermont-Ferrand, France. When I found out, I thought: “I am, God help me, in a state resembling happiness” (Currie 196). I got to stay in dorms with other French students (and Olivia K), learning about Failure Analysis for a week.

9) Last year, in French 4, we took a trip to the International Film Festival and saw a bunch of French shorts. After that, we went to a delicious French restaurant. I felt “pleasure, pleasure!” when I realized how much I had improved (Wilde 2).

8) Freshman year, we did a balloon dropping contest in Honors Algebra II, where we tied water balloons to a ton of rubber bands, using algebra to figure out how many to tie from a series of tests. Some teams came close to the ground with less rubber bands than us, so I thought: "it is rather dangerous your venturing on it now” (Wilde 42). But we came within one inch of the ground and won!

7) When I received my SAT scores (especially for math and the Math II subject test), I thought that I was “under some strange mistake” (Wilde 24). I did not expect to do so well. However, I had actually done a bit of practice, so I felt like I earned them.

6) Mark Wood, the lead violinist of the Transiberian Orchestra came and taught the strings class a short seminar. We tried to modernize orchestra by mixing classic rock influences with classical music. The concert was so much fun, that there was “magic in the web of it” (Shakespeare3.4.69).

5) In tenth grade, I took creative writing with Mr. Stuart. Our class soon became the “circle of love” and we had so much fun. I learned to step out of my shell a bit because we had to reach all of our writing out loud. I even ended up army crawling across the floor for a skit while singing the Mission Impossible theme song one day as my writing partner cried: “Oh villain!” (Shakespeare5.2.308)

4) I would be remiss if I did not mention winning the AP Multiple Choice game during the first quarter. We beat the other teams “naught… in hate, but all in honor” (Shakespeare 5.2.291). It was, suffice to say, quite thrilling

3) We took two practice AP Multiple Choice tests in AP Computer Science recently. I actually did surprising well on both of them, scoring well above any English multiple choice I have received ever.Although “it is very painful for me to be forced to speak the truth,” It made me realize that I do not fail at AP multiple choice questions in every aspect, I just have weaker subjects than others (40).

2) In tenth grade, we had to do a huge research project. Sarah G, Jenny K, and I decided to do it on clothing based stereotypes. Sarah dressed up as an emo slut, Jenny as a fashionable girl, and I as the athletic type. We thought we were so cool at the mall, with a notebook in purse, acting like secret agents as we conferred after each store we hit. One man asked Sarah why she had drawn black dots under her eyes when she waited outside alone. We then thought that we saw him following us after that. “But what does being an adult teach you, daily, if not to function in the face of fear?” (Currie 256). We were, of course, completely fine.

1) Last July, when we received the AP Test results I was at camp. Bu tI had to know, so I had my dad tell me. I did not actually believe him at first, because “there is always doubt and fear” (Currie 118). I even made him text me a photo of the sheet that came in the mail. But mainly, I just felt happy that my hard work had paid off.
Here we are in tenth grade!!!






1 comment:

  1. Lizzy, I completely forgot about the balloon drop in Honors Algebra 2! That was an epic project and I seem to remember your calculations producing an unbelievable result. I also enjoyed your nostalgia on the sophomore year research project. As brutal as it was, when we turned that bad boy in... definitely one of the most thrilling events in our high school careers.

    ReplyDelete